Have you ever wondered what a chef’s Super Bowl party spread is like? Chef’s Brian & Shanna O’Hea take their indoor tailgating pretty seriously, and their spread for the 2015 big game is no exception. This year, the O’Heas built a massive, stadium-themed smorgasbord designed to mimic the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona – home of the New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks matchup. The O’Heas went with a “Home Team/Visitors” concept for their creation, with the Home Team’s snacks being represented by homemade treats, and the Visitors’ snacks being store bought. The Portland Press Herald has a very nicely labeled version of the stadium on their page entitled, “The Makings of a Super Bowl Spread.”
|Home Team Snacks||Visitors/Guests|
|Homemade Carmel Corn & Honey Roasted Peanuts||Cracker Jacks|
|Shanna’s Round 1 Recipe from Rewrapped – Recreated Chef Boyardee Ravioli||Pepperoni Combos|
|Cheese Sable with Powdered Cheddar||Cheez-Its|
|Brian’s Beer Boiled Pretzels||Pretzel Sticks & Nuggets|
|Homemade Mango Fruit Rolls||Fruit Roll-Ups|
|Peanut Oatmeal Cookie with Peanut Butter Cream||Nutter Butters|
|Chocolate Paté, Homemade Marshmallow, Graham Cracker Almond Crust||Oreos|
|Siracha, Vinegar and Chili Lime House Made Potato Chips||Humpty Dumpty Everything Chips|
Other interesting facts about the O’Heas’ Super Bowl Stadium o’ Snacks:
- The “stadium” is the bowl of Chef Brian’s cotton candy machine.
- The field is made of wheat grass, with lines and numbers made of meringue.
- The “players” are represented by Jello shots. The Patriots are strawberry rum, topped with red, white & blue jimmies/sprinkles. The Seahawks are lime & Patron tequila, with blue topping. The Marshawn Lynch player has some Skittles in the shot. (You can’t see him. He’s on the sideline.)
- The two end zones are guacamole and fava bean dip.
- The goal posts are caramel lollipop sticks.
- The “fans” in the near end zone are crudités with blue cheese dip. (It is merely a coincidence that the veggies are in the cheap seats.)
- The football is a pretzel nugget covered in chocolate paté. It has been checked for proper inflation by the NFL.
- The scoreboard is made of puff pastry and butter cream.
- The pennant flags rimming the stadium are hot peppers.
- All of the beer surrounding the stadium are local Maine craft brews.
- The Goodyear Blimp is made of Rice Krispies & Cocoa Puff treats.
In the Snack Stadium Parking Lot:
- Buffalo Salmon Sliders with celery & blue cheese stuffed olives.
- Clam chowder in a bread bowl from Boulangerie – A Proper Bakery (Opening soon next to the Kennebunk Village Pharmacy.)
- The “cars” are store bought pigs in a blanket. The “buses” are homemade ones with gherkin wheels.
- Arizona cactus leaves and cactus pears provide a desert southwest atmosphere.
Portland Press Herald Articles on the Snack Stadium: